The airfield hosts Newquay Airport and RAF (Royal Air Force) St.Mawgan.
It opened as a civilian airfield in 1933.
It was requisitioned at the outbreak of WWII, and named RAF Trebelzue. Initially as a satellite to the nearby, and larger RAF St.Eval.
In February 1943, it was re-named RAF St.Mawgan, and in June 1943, the United States Army Air Force took over. In 1951 it re-opened as a Coastal Command base used for maritime reconnaissance, flying the Avro Lancaster and Avro Shackleton aircraft.
1969 the Nimrod maritime patrol aircraft moved in. 1992 saw the loss of these mighty maritime sentinels to RAF Kinloss in Scotland.
The remainder of the military station still continues to operate under the command of the RAF, as a search and rescue training facility, and is the base for the Cornwall’s Air Ambulance service.
Cornwall Air Ambulance (call sign: helimed181) is a dedicated helicopter emergency service for Cornwall.
The helicopter (EurocopterEC 135) flies approximately 1000 missions per annum, having now flown over 22,500 + missions. Providing a swift response time, and access to isolated locations, such as beaches, cliff-tops and moorland areas, which are inaccessible by road.
On average it takes three minutes to get airborne, and twelve minutes from the time of call to the scene of the incident.
The Cornwall Air Ambulance carries a crew of three, the pilot and two paramedics. The Cornwall Air Ambulance is exclusively a charitable organization merely maintained by donations as it receives no form of official funding, and presently requires £1.7 million for 2012.
“It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end” – Ursula K. Le Guin